Houston Market Snapshot
Note: Most recent data available.
While some sectors have shed jobs in recent months, the tight job market will continue in 2023 throughout much of the United States. Throughout the Houston area, businesses in sectors such as retail, manufacturing and hospitality are still experiencing a labor shortage, especially for front-line and entry level workers.
The unemployment rate in the Houston metro area is 4.0%, four percentage points higher than the national rate of 3.6%. As a result, many area employers are boosting wages to attract and retain workers. Houston metro area wages have increased by 4.2% year over year, compared to 5.2% for the entire United States. See Q3 2022 numbers here.
year over year
down from 4.1% in October 2022
year over year
- Leisure and hospitality had the largest YoY employment gain (12.1%) among local private-industry supersectors.
- Nonfarm wage and salary employment in the Houston area is up 6.3% YoY.
- The unemployment rate in the U.S. is 3.6%, compared to 4.0% in the Houston area.
Houston Jobs Breakdown
- Unique Job Postings: 166
- Jobs Change: ↑ 8.5% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $13.83
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $13.97
DINING ROOM & CAFETERIA ATTENDANTS
- Unique Job Postings: 553
- Jobs Change: ↑ 5.9% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $10.58
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $10.98
- Unique Job Postings: 599
- Jobs Change: ↓ 6.6% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $11.75
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $11.48
WAITERS & WAITRESSES
- Unique Job Postings: 1,687
- Jobs Change: ↓ 8.7% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $10.18
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $12.52
INSPECTORS, TESTERS & SORTERS
- Unique Job Postings: 679
- Jobs Change: ↓ 9.7% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $18.72
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $19.75
SHIPPING & RECEIVING CLERKS
- Unique Job Postings: 500
- Jobs Change: ↓ 11.2% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $17.24
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $16.08
PeopleReady connects people with work throughout the Houston market. We put a Workforce Within Reach™ across a variety of industries, including hospitality, retail, manufacturing, construction and more. If you’re struggling to find workers in this competitive market, visit our Texas market service center page or call us at 214.358.0684 to find staffing solutions now.
- U.S. BLS, Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- Emsi, January 3, 2023