Houston Market Snapshot
Note: Most recent data available.
Throughout the Houston area, businesses in sectors such as retail, manufacturing and hospitality report a shortage of job applicants. With a tight labor market spurring competition for front-line and entry level workers, the number of job postings has soared to record levels. Meanwhile, many area employers are boosting wages to attract and retain workers.
The unemployment rate in the Houston metro area is 4.6%, significantly higher than the national rate of 3.6%. Meanwhile, Houston metro area wages have increased by 4.2% year over year, compared to 5.2% for the U.S.
year over year
year over year
- Leisure and hospitality had the largest YoY employment gain (12.1%) among local private-industry supersectors.
- Nonfarm wage and salary employment in the Houston area is up 6.3% YoY.
- The unemployment rate in the U.S. is 3.6%, compared to 4.6% in the Houston area.
Houston Jobs Breakdown
- Unique Job Postings: 5,235
- Jobs Change: ↑ 10.5% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $13.97
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $13.11
LAUNDRY & DRY CLEANING WORKERS
- Unique Job Postings: 195
- Jobs Change: ↑ 9.6% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $11.43
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $10.95
INSPECTORS, TESTERS & SORTERS
- Unique Job Postings: 742
- Jobs Change: ↑ 6.3% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $18.72
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $19.75
SHIPPING, RECEIVING & INVENTORY CLERKS
- Unique Job Postings: 559
- Jobs Change: ↑ 2.0% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $17.24
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $16.80
JANITORS & CLEANERS
- Unique Job Postings: 1,807
- Jobs Change: ↓ 5.1% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $11.08
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $12.49
- Unique Job Postings: 1,085
- Jobs Change: ↓ 7.3% from Q2
- Median Hourly Wage: $16.20
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $16.06
PeopleReady connects people with work throughout the Houston market. We put a Workforce Within Reach™ across a variety of industries, including hospitality, retail, manufacturing, construction and more. If you’re struggling to find workers in this competitive market, call us at (214) 358-0684 to find staffing solutions now.
- U.S. BLS, Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- Emsi, October 3, 2022
Need staffing solutions for your business?