Washington, D.C. Market Snapshot
Note: Most recent data available.
Throughout the Washington, D.C. area, businesses in sectors such as hospitality, manufacturing and retail continue to experience a labor shortage, especially for front-line and entry level workers. More than 4 million people quit their jobs each month during 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Meanwhile, many area employers are boosting wages to attract and retain workers.
The latest unemployment rate in the Washington, D.C. metro area is 3.1%, compared with 3.6% for the entire country. Meanwhile, metro area wages have increased 1.0% year over year. See Q3 2022 numbers here.
year over year
down from 3.2% in October 2022
year over year
- The Washington, D.C. metro area’s civilian labor force decreased over the year by 16,300, while the number of unemployed decreased by 18,100.
- Trade, transportation and utilities had the largest MoM job growth (+7,700) among all supersectors.
- The unemployment rate in the U.S. is 3.6%, compared to 3.1% in the Washington, D.C. area.
Washington, D.C. Breakdown
weighers, measurers & checkerS
- Unique Job Postings: 196
- Jobs Change: ↑ 27.3% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $18.28
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $21.97
Shipping, receiving & inventory clerks
- Unique Job Postings: 322
- Jobs Change: ↑ 14.6% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $17.50
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $17.54
INSPECTORS, TESTERS & SORTERS
- Unique Job Postings: 426
- Jobs Change: ↑ 6.0% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $22.79
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $28.86
stockers & order fillers
- Unique Job Postings: 1,530
- Jobs Change: ↑ 5.5% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $16.30
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $16.55
- Unique Job Postings: 992
- Jobs Change: ↓ 2.6% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $12.70
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $18.05
- Unique Job Postings: 5,644
- Jobs Change: ↓ 5.2% from Q3
- Median Hourly Wage: $15.18
- Median Hourly Wage as Advertised: $16.09
PeopleReady connects people with work throughout the Washington, D.C. market. We put a Workforce Within Reach™ across a variety of industries, including hospitality, retail, manufacturing, construction and more. If you’re struggling to find workers in this competitive market, visit our Washington, D.C. service center page or call us at 800.966.4139 to find staffing solutions now.
- U.S. BLS, Local Area Unemployment Statistics
- Emsi, January 3, 2023